This simple quilt is really easy to make for a beginner sewer, or anyone looking for a quick sewing project. I want to share this very basic small quilt that I made as an easy sewing project.
If you thought that a quilt was too complicated for a sewing project then I want to prove you wrong and it makes a great gift. The beauty of this is that you can make it as big or as small as you like depending on what you are using it for!
If you’re a beginner at sewing or dressmaking then check out my recommendations for all your sewing essentials.
To make a simple quilt you will need:
- 10-inch squares
- Fabric for the backing
- Thin wadding
- Quilting pins
- Sewing machine
How to make a really simple quilt instructions
- Lay out your 10-inch squares as you would like them to look on your quilt. When you’re happy with them, sew them together to make each horizontal line.
2. Remember to iron the seams of the strips in opposite directions to each other, this will help when you pin them together.
3. Then match up the seams, which should be easier if they are ironed in opposite directions, and pin them.
4. Once they’re matched, then sew the strips together and iron the whole thing flat.
5. Lay the quilt on the wadding and the backing fabric. Trim off the excess fabric leaving around 2 inches all around the edges.
6. Use the quilting pins to secure the patches to the wadding and the backing fabric.
7. Make sure to place the pins in the middle of the squares so that they don’t get in the way of your sewing!
8. Sew along the diagonals to create this effect. You can then sew both sets of diagonals to create a crossed design if you wish.
9. Make a really simple binding by folding the backing fabric over twice and pinning it in place.
10. Mitre the corners using my vine tutorial.
I used mine as a table runner but depending on the size you can use this simple technique to create whatever you fancy!
Happy sewing! Comment below if you made your own simple quilt using this tutorial.
Pin this for later: